Monday, January 7, 2019
It was cold last night with a -23C wind chill. I didn’t notice, for which I am truly grateful. I did add an extra comforter on the the bed though, and spent the night quite comfortably; it was needed, or I would have been too hot. Tomorrow we are expecting rain. Weather has a logic of its own.
Attila worked in the garage until bedtime last night. Now that his projects are not dominated by a deadline, he enthusiastically works away until the goal is reached. He finished his new workbench, using only wood that had been collected free of charge, or purchased at incredibly low prices when he worked in the lumber industry. The new work bench has a lot of storage, so once he organizes his tools and such, I should be able to find anything I need to tackle the small projects that interest me. What I will notice most though, is how bare the basement will feel when he moves his tools and building supplies out into the garage!
Tuesday, January 8, 2019
It is much warmer today. Freezing rain fell over the course of the night and collected in a thick sheet over all, but melted quickly so that the roads were passable by morning. The sky is cloudy and grey, grey, grey, so very grey!
Today I am thinking about my least favourite things. Here are three, prioritized. I think everyone’s list will be different, and I think mine is a fairly lucky list!
1. Mean spirited expression of any kind. I feel either disgusted or ill, or both, when I have to witness this. I think most people have these thoughts or feelings from time to time, and acting on them is optional, a choice. Our species is capable of toilet training, so restraint is something we are capable of, there is precedent.
2. Medical Treatment Involving anything injected of ingested, as per my anaphylaxis. A constant threat.
3. Colonoscopy Preparation. What misery. I have had many different preparations for a colonoscopy. The one below has been the best so far, directly quoted. Because the test only comes up every five years, and I won’t be able to find the instruction sheet five years from now, I just know it, I am putting this in my journal so I can find it when I REALLY need it! I will get new instructions of course, but I’ve tried a lot of different preps, and this one did not hospitalize me, cause back spasms, or result in severe dehydration. It is hands down the best successful colonoscopy prep procuedure I’ve tried. Some preps are easier on the body than others, this one is the most humane I’ve tried.
Skip the next bit if it is too much detail.
WEEK BEFORE EXAMINATION:
Because the colonoscopy preparation has been such an ordeal for my body, I decided to try a special diet for the week before the examination. This was hugely beneficial for me, but might not be for someone else. I stuck to:
White bread, pasta, and rice.
Well-cooked vegetables without skin.
Fruit without skin or seeds.
Lean meat, chicken, or fish.
1 box PICO-SALAX: the box contains 2 packets. you will need to take both of them as instructed below. Do NOT follow the instructions on the PICO-SALAX insert.
[Note: I used PURG-ODAN, an identical product for half the price. 2 sachets each containing 16.1 g of powder with three active ingredients: sodium picosulfate 10 mg, magnesium oxide 3.5 g, and citric acid 12 g. Also each sachet contains non-medicinal ingredients: orange flavour, potassium bicarbonate, and sodium saccharin.]
Bowel Preparation Instructions:
A. Three days and Two Days before the Examination:
– at 5:00 p.m. take 2 DULCOLAX tablets (5 mg. each) with water, each evening.
B. On the day before the Examination:
– Diet for this day is restricted to CLEAR LIQUIDS ONLY for the ENTIRE DAY. No solids to be taken. Clear liquids can include Apple Juice, jell-o, chicken broth, Gatorade/Powerade (clear), Popsicles, water, ice, black tea or coffee, decaffeinated pop, etc. NO MILK PRODUCTS or other liquid that you cannot see through.
[Note: no red, pink, or purple coloured liquids.]
Again, do not follow the instructions on the PICO-SALAX insert. Instead:
At 11:00 a.m.: take the 1st packet of PICO-SALAX. Mix it in a 5 ounce (150 ml) mug of cold water. Stir while drinking to ensure all of the laxative has dissolved. Drink at least one glass of water each hour over the next three hours. Take extra clear fluids if desired. The laxative will produce 2-6 watery bowel movements.
[Note: I found this to be accurate, three, the first one hour after drinking the potion. This is important because from this point forward one must be steps away from the throne, time is of the essence. I drank one extra cup of water and 590 ml Gatorade.]
At 3:00 p.m.: take the 2nd packet of PICO-SALAX. Mix in a 5 ounce (150 ml) mug of cold water, again stirring while drinking. Continue to drink at least a glass of water each over the next three hours. Take extra clear fluids if desires. There be further watery bowel movements.
[Note: The last statement is an understatement. This is where the real show begins! 30 minutes after drinking, things got going, and continued with some frequency, 12 times in my case, spanning six hours. Drinking the directed amount of water is essential, but extra will result in more frequent and violent episodes, I drank approximately two extra cup of water and 300 ml Gatorade.]
After midnight: take nothing by mouth. DO NOT EAT OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT.
DAY OF THE TEST: Important Information.
No breakfast. No solids or liquids: 2 – 4 ounces of water only is desired. Take medication only as directed by physician.
EXAMINATION: …After the examination, drink lots of fluids and resume your normal diet.
[Note: the medical person advised easing back into a normal diet, slowly, particularly with greasy foods.]
Addendum: Why isn’t there a Joe’s Gentle Enema Service near every hospital!
Date: 10:00 AM EST Monday 7 January 2019
Condition: Not observed
Pressure: 103.5 kPa
Dew point: -16.0°C
Wind: ENE 18 km/h
Wind Chill: -1
Date: 1:00 PM EST Tuesday 8 January 2019
Condition: Mostly Cloudy
Pressure: 100.7 kPa
Dew point: 2.5°C
Wind: SSE 16 km/h
Visibility: 19 km
“I don’t think anyone can DO anything that would make him worthy of love. Love is a gift and cannot be earned. It can only be given.”