Hail! I heard something fall on the roof, then something else and then it thundered down, hail! The boards on the deck are just under six inches across, for reference. I have never before experienced hail of this magnitude, but have driven by banks of it on the side of the road, shortly after a hail storm. Spectacular! And a little scary.
Hail dscf1834

We had a few days off last weekend, because it was a long weekend in Canada. We decided to visit the little house in the city. When we arrived there was still light in the sky; enough light to see that the dandelions had taken over much of the front yard, and that the back yard was more like a hayfield than a lawn. It was too late in the day to have a lawn mower running, so Attila planned to begin the mowing job as early as possible the following day, Sunday. Sunday began with sunshine, but by the time it was acceptable to have power tools roaring in the neighbourhood, it had started to spit rain. Attila got the job done though.

Our neighbours, who keep a pretty close watch for goings on at our little house in the city, when we are not there, told us about the local dogs. Apparently a few of the local dogs like our back yard, a lot. Since there is no gate to the back yard, they have had free entry. The neighbours like to chase the dogs away from their yard, and ours, which we approve. We have talked about putting up a gate, but it has not made it anywhere near the top of our project list. Taking into account the neighbour’s concerns, we decided to move it on up, right to the top of the list.

Attila spent the weekend building a gate, which he finished, for the most part. It is functional, but needs a few small finishing touches, which we will take care of next time we are visiting the house. It was an unexpected expense, and an unexpected time-swallower. But it got done!

As usual, as Attila was busy with the most physical tasks, I was busy with the organizational tasks. I spent time pricing gates, ensuring that the materials were in stock and that we could afford them. I also did a significant amount of shopping for food supplies, since we had not purchased groceries for almost three weeks.

A pleasant surprise was that the rhubarb, which had died off completely last summer, has come back. At least, three of the four plants we planted have come back to life. I spent a great deal of time on those plants, watering, then putting down newspaper around them and applying mulch to keep the dandelions at bay. The dandelions have taken over a great deal of the lawn and garden.

While I was purchasing the mulch, I also bought portulaca for the front flower box and some petunias for the flower “box” on the lawn, both were on sale. I planted, watered and mulched those two front flowerbeds. The perennials in the back garden, which are there temporarily, until we get a front porch built, were drowning in dandelions and bindweed. I spent many hours removing the worst of the dandelions, pulling them and the bindweed carefully out from between the emerging perennials.

I seldom have the opportunity to work outside at the country house, the mosquitoes are just too horrific. At the little house in the city I can putter in the garden for hours and hours, and only be bothered by a few dozen mosquitoes, there are no swarms. I was enjoying myself so much that I overdid it, and after sitting down at the end of the day, I had trouble getting up again. I spent a painful night, and was extremely stiff again the next morning. I hurt even when I was not moving! Today I am feeling much better.

Equipment for making plant pots for the basil seeds.
Seed pots

Today I am going to plant some basil seeds. When I purchased them, while shopping at a garden centre with Terra, I intended to leave them with Terra, who would have plant them in her garden for us. However, I forgot to send them home with Terra, and now I have them here at the country house. I found an online video which demonstrated how to make small plant pots out of newspaper, for seed starting. I ended up using an empty toilet paper roll, a stapler and newsprint to make mine. I will plant the seeds, and care for them, until our next visit to the city house, where Terra will pick them up and take charge.

We are under a severe weather warning. It has been raining. Just after the lunch hour we received severe hail, some of it about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, perhaps larger, I was not going out to measure. It thundered onto the roof, and even shook the floor a little when it hit the deck attached to the side of the house. Attila checked the car this evening, for damage. It suffered several dents, but the paint job was not compromised, we think. It is difficult to tell the full extent of any damage because the car is covered with leaves, seeds, and twigs. When we get it all cleared away we will know better. Nothing to get upset about though.

Mist, our dear, deaf cat, slept thought the entire hail storm. She even looked offended when later she awoke, and protested that the sliding door was closed.

Hopefully that is the last we will see of this storm, but the storm watches are still in effect, and I can hear rumbling in the distance from time to time.

I am posting this entry early and hoping that no new news is generated between now and tomorrow, when I might post again!

Worldly Distractions


Condition: Mostly Cloudy
Pressure: 100.9 kPa
Visibility: 16 km
Temperature: 17.4°C
Dewpoint: 15.9°C
Humidity: 91%
Wind: ESE 9 km/h


“Study without desire spoils the memory, and it retains nothing that it takes in.”
Leonardo da Vinci
1452 – 1519

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

One thing about a storm, when it ends, it always feels that “whew, glad that’s over and gone…” but they always come back eventually. We had storms here last night but no hail, just rain, thunder & lightning, which I don’t like one little bit.

Just reading about all you accomplished at the little city house has made me all lame and stiff and achy, and I never even got out of my chair!


I enjoyed myself so much I forgot about the consequences. I’ll have to pace myself in future, a little push beyond the limit each day. I remember my Grandfather, who would have been around 85 at the time, installing a new metal roof on his two storey house. He would accept no help whatsoever. If he felt tired, he came down off the ladder and rested for a bit. Then up he went again. In that way, he re-roofed his house over the course of a week or so. I learned a lot from Grandpa!