The web site I designed as a donation has been reviewed by the congregation, and others, and only one edit was needed, the addition of a link to the links page. I am very pleased with the site, and very glad that the church members feel the same way. Yesterday I prepared a document to send them, to hand over the site, with all the passwords and details they will need to administer it ongoing. It has been a good experience thus far.
I submitted my receipt for yesterday’s physiotherapy, and found that they are requesting an audit. I don’t have my printer/scanner here at the little house, so I used my MacBook Air and Photo Booth to take a photo of the receipt, then uploaded it to the insurance people. I hope there isn’t a problem, because I am staying at the little house, with the little house address, which isn’t the address on the insurance account, they have the country house address. It will all work out in the end, but I am hoping that I don’t have to jump through hoops to get it all sorted out. Then again, they may just accept it as is. Who knows. I am expecting a problem with it though, because it is unusual to have two addresses, and corporations HATE the unusual. The unusual is not yet punishable by death here in Canada, only by endless contention.
Today I am canning beans. Attila has eaten all the home canned beans at the country house, so I need to replenish his supply.
Yesterday I purchased 8 small stainless steel condiment cups, for $2.50. I washed and dried them, then set out 7 of them, and into each of them I measured the correct amount of herbs and spices for one jar of canned beans. Now, when I need to add the herbs and spices, all I have to do is pour the contents of one condiment cup into the jar. This will greatly simplify the preparation for canning.
This morning I chopped garlic, red peppers, and onions for the project. I distributed the chopped vegetables on 7 saucers, ready to be added to the canning jars.
The mason jars were lined up on the kitchen counter, ready to be filled. I measured the beans, one cup at a time, into a strainer, washed them, and added them to the washed mason jars. Then I added the vegetables, and herbs and spices to each jar. While I was doing all that I had a one saucepan on the stove heating the jar lids and rings, another boiling the water to be added to the beans, and the pressure canner on the heat with 3 inches of water in it.
After filling the jars with boiling water, the lids were carefully placed on them, and the rings screwed on “finger tight”. Then I lifted the hot jars carefully into the pressure canner, placed the lid on and levelled it, carefully screwed it down, and turned on the heat. After ten minutes of venting, I put the weight gauge on the canner and settled down at the kitchen table to review the manual once more.
I like to stay in the kitchen when the pressure canner is doing its thing, I like to keep an eye on it, ensure it is maintaining the correct pressure, alert to any problems. Today I got a good seal on the lid, which is an improvement over my earliest attempts to pressure can. That little dab of olive oil around the rim of the pot works wonders!
While I was whiling away the 90 minutes that it takes for the pressure canner to work its magic, this little video made me laugh out loud. It is a comedy skit, but I do believe delightful things like this can happen, when you least expect it!
Little House in the City
Date:6:00 AM EST Tuesday 3 March 2015
Condition: Partly Cloudy
Pressure: 102.9 kPa
Visibility: 24 km
Wind: N 2 km/h
Wind Chill: -19
Date: 6:00 AM EST Tuesday 3 March 2015
Condition: Partly Cloudy
Pressure: 102.7 kPa
Visibility: 16 km
Wind: ESE 5 km/h
Wind Chill: -27
“Do not believe that he who seeks to comfort you lives untroubled among the simple and quiet words that sometimes do you good. His life has much difficulty… Were it otherwise he would never have been able to find those words.”
Rainer Maria Rilke
1875 – 1926