Off to a slow start this morning, as I wandered off into reading a book while I was drinking my morning coffee. The title of the book is The Rev. J.W. Loguen, as a slave and as a freeman. A narrative of real life (1859), and I found it fascinating. It serves to remind me that, no matter what a pretty picture progress paints on the surface of the culture, there is much hidden that beggars belief. And that good people continue to survive the onslaught of insanity in the name of profit.
After a breakfast of oatcakes, I gathered my thoughts and determined that I would finish what I could of the bathroom project today.
The vapour barrier project began by assembling the tools needed; plastic vapour barrier, carpenter’s square, pen, staple gun, staples, step stool, screwdiver, hammer, small piece of cardboard, scissors, a kitchen spatula, and Tuck tape.
First the vapour barrier was cut in roughly the size needed to cover the exterior wall in the bathroom. Beginning at the top middle, the vapour barrier was stapled to the studs at intervals. Where the staples had not completely penetrated the stud, they were hammered in, protected from the hammer by the cardboard.
When the vapour barrier was secured to the entire wall, it was time to tape the areas where the staples had penetrated the vapour barrier. This was done with Tuck tape.
Attila had warned that the Tuck tape liked very much to stick to itself, and that if the “end” of the tape stuck down it would be very challenging to start the roll again. So the kitchen spatula was put to good use, holding the Tuck tape away from itself, and making a section available for cutting off in small pieces. I used this method rather than attempt to tape an entire stud, top to bottom, to cover the staples.
I worked for quite a while and needed a break. I read a bit more of my book, and then it was time to get moving on the project again.
After taping over all the staples, an opening was cut into the plastic to allow air flow thorough the window. A bucket of soapy water was brought in and all the surfaces were cleaned with a rag. Then a bucket of water with bleach was used to rinse the boards affected by mould.
This is as far as I will take the bathroom project on this visit. I think our next step is to remove the toilet and remaining layers of flooring and sub-flooring that are still under it. We suspect that the floorboards underneath the toilet will be badly damaged and will need to be replaced. Attila will take charge of the toilet removal.
When we see what we are dealing with the toilet out, we will know the way forward.
There are still purchases to be made. I must choose flooring. We will need a tub surround for the walls around the tub. And now that Attila is installing new drywall at the country house, we will be painting the walls. Also, I need to choose a paint colour and let him know, so he can purchase paint locally at the country house and carry on with his project.
For today though, I am done with my labours. I will spend time relaxing on the back porch, reading, cooking and watching a few episodes of Foyle’s War.
Condition: Mainly Sunny
Pressure: 102.0 kPa
Visibility: 24 km
Wind: NNE 18 km/h
“He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.”